Call us 650-273-6692 or Email Us

Affordable 55+ Senior Housing

What is Section 8 and how does the housing choice voucher program work?

Paula Bennett • Apr 26, 2021

What is Section 8? 

The Section 8 Project-Based Rental Assistance (PBRA) program helps low-income tenants seeking affordable rental housing with a rent subsidy to rent an apartment owned by private landlords. The rent subsidy is provided to you, the tenant, in a voucher through the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program. 

What Is the Housing Choice Voucher Program? 

The Housing Choice Voucher Program is a federally funded program that assists very low-income families, single people, the elderly, and persons with disabilities in seeking affordable housing in the private rental market.

The program pays a housing subsidy (the rent payment) directly to the landlord on behalf of the participant. The assistance usually makes up the difference between what the tenant can afford and the actual rent payment.

Alida Manor is a private landlord that participates in the Section 8 program. Our tenants with a Section 8 voucher pay only part of their income as determined by the San Mateo Housing Department (“HASCM”).

The remainder of the rent payment is paid by HASCM directly to us. For example, if the apartment rent is 2650.00 per month, and your TTP (tenant payment) is 50.00, you would pay 50.00, and the remaining 2600.00 is paid by HASCM directly to us.

Each housing authority has specific requirements for eligibility. Whether you are eligible depends on your income and how many people are in your household. Please note single people are qualified, although the application may use the words “family” or “household.” One person can be a “family” or “household.” You need to contact the local housing authority to determine your eligibility and the application process.

Once you are accepted into the Section 8 program, you will be assigned a caseworker who can answer your questions. If you wish to move to another city at any time, click here to learn how to apply for section 8.